Before going and scour the internet for free software, it’s worth noting that Windows, Mac and iOS all come with screen recorders pre-installed. However, for Windows users I don’t recommend using the built in Xbox Game Bar application for reasons I’ll explain in just a minute. Instead, I recommend using an alternative product called Apowersoft’s Free online screen recorder. Anyway, here’s how to record your screen on each platform.
READY TO START YOUR OWN YOUTUBE CHANNEL?
To record your computer screen on Mac, open QuickTime Player in the Applications folder. Click on the File menu and select New Screen Recording. Press the record button to begin recording. To finish recording click on the icon in the menu bar.
To record your screen on iPhone or iPad, open Settings, click on Control Center and click on the green plus icon to add the screen recorder. Open the Control Center and press the record icon to begin recording.
To record your computer screen on Windows, navigate to Apowersoft’s Free online screen recorder in your Internet browser. Click the option to Start Recording. Install the application which will open automatically. Click on the record button to start recording.
Let’s walk you through the process, step by step...
How To Record Your Screen On Windows 10 Without The Game Bar
For Windows users the built in screen recorder is a part of the xbox game bar application, which you can open by either pressing the windows key and G on your keyboard, or by typing xbox in Search. To begin recording you would press on the record button here. However, as you can see from the image below my computer doesn’t meet the minimum spec required to use it.
That’s the first problem with using the Xbox game bar to record your screen. You need a pretty powerful PC. Secondly, the game bar recorder only allow you to record in games and will stop recording when you switch to a different application or to your desktop.
Instead I recommend a free online tool called Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder. It will allow you to record your screen for an unlimited amount of time, it won’t add a watermark to your recordings and you can save the files locally to your hard drive. Follow the steps below to begin using it.
1. Browse to apowersoft.com.
2. Click the option to Start Recording. Ignore the Download App button which is for the paid version of the software.
3. Install the launcher app. This is a one-off installation to launch the interface.
4. Choose to record whole screen or a portion of screen.
5. Choose to enable or disable system audio and your webcam.
6. Click on More > Settings to check the options. Among other things, these additional settings allow you can change the frame rate, choose to include and highlight the cursor and hide the menu bar when the recording starts.
7. Stop recording by clicking on the application icon in the system tray.
8. Click on the Save button in the bottom right corner of the window to save the recording.
To start a new recording simply navigate to the same webpage and choose Start Recording.
How To Record your Screen in Mac OS
The built in QuickTime Player is an excellent application for recording your screen. To start using it.
1. Open QuickTime Player in the Applications folder. Alternatively, press Command + Shift + 5 on your keyboard.
2. Click on New Screen Recording from the File menu.
3. Choose between Entire Screen or Record Selected Portion.
4. Click on Options. Choose whether to add a timer before the recording starts, include system audio and choose whether to display the mouse cursor.
5. Press the record button.
6. Stop recording by clicking the record icon in the menu bar.
7. Click on Save in the File menu. Alternatively, a copy of the recording is automatically saved to the Desktop.
How To Record Your Mac Screen With Keyboard Shortcuts
To record your Mac screen using keyboard shortcuts, press Command + Shift + 5 on your keyboard to open the screen recoding menu. Press return to start recording. End the recording by click stop in the menu bar.
Where Do Screen Recordings Go On Mac?
On Mac, completed screen recordings typically open in the QuickTime player. Save the screen recording by clicking on Save in the File menu. Alternatively, screen recordings are also saved to the Desktop.
How Do I Record My Computer Screen With Sound On Mac?
By default Mac will record audio when recording the computer screen using the built in microphone. These settings can be changes in Options from the Screen Recording Menu in QuickTime Player.
How To Record Your Screen On iPad And iPhone In iOS
A screen recorder comes pre-installed in iOS on iPhone and iPad. Follow these steps to start using it.
1. Open Settings and scroll down to Control Center.
2. Click the green plus icon to add the screen recorder to Control Center.
3. Open up the Control Center. Do this either by swiping up from the bottom of the screen or by swiping down from the top, right corner, depending on the age of your device.
4. Click on the record button. A notification will appear confirming the screen is recording.
5. End recording by clicking the same button or the notification.
6. Recordings are saved to the Photos app.
How To Record Instantly On iPhone or iPad
Once the screen recorder is added in Settings, recording will start instantly by press the record button in the Control Center.
And that is how to record your screen in Windows 10, Mac OS, and on iPhone and iPad.